Monday, August 29, 2016
I'm very proud of my cultural, whatever that cultural may be. Whether it includes my American culture and the love of country music and Mac n cheese, or the Jewish culture I barely grew up on but admire and adore. That's a part of my family dynamic, the absence of religious practice because of the idea that I should believe what I believe without force or guidance. So though the Jewish holidays are celebrated each year, my knowledge about what we're celebrating is limited. My family and I learn a lot about history, society and religion through literature and media. We are huge movie buffs. My absence of religion though makes me appreciate and curious about other students and peers and my vast knowledge of other cultures from documentaries and my love of travel allows me to be aware and accepting of those different than mine. However, because my knowledge of other cultures is based in books, movies, and media, I tend to hold the common stereotypes and biases against common cultures portrayed in these areas. In the past years though I have learned my biases and have tried to remedy that by traveling and immersing myself physically and emotionally into those cultures. This fueled my love for traveling. I think my knowledge of this and my experience in cultures other than my own will help me with future students in understanding and working with their different cultures and needs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment